Valentine’s Day, a day that I’ve always thought was just kind of weird (I love it, but still think it’s kind of weird). I mean why do we need a day to celebrate love? Shouldn’t we do that every single day? BUT whatever. The day is about love, love for significant others, love for friends, love for family, love for self, because all are worthy of celebration. So whether you’re on the hunt for a gift for your significant other, for your girlfriends, or for yourself (#treatyoself) you’re in the right place, because let’s be real, we all struggle with this- what the heck do you buy the people you love on the one day of the year that is designated as the day devoted to them? So drumroll please…..I present to you my first ever gift guide
- One of my favorite gifts that I’ve ever given is the My Hometown Map from L.L. Bean. $49.99 gives you the opportunity to personalize a map centered around an address that you pick. TJ lived in a house with a number of his fraternity brothers during college, so that house at 700 Broadway Street ended up being an important place in his life and in our story. We built the puzzle centered around 700 Broadway in Uptown New Orleans together this past weekend and it was so fun (really hard but still so fun)! Great gift to commemorate an important place plus give you a fun activity to work on together. TBH, I totally pat myself on the back for this gift idea.
- I’ve given many many many people photobooks, cards, and wooden canvases from the Walgreens Photo Center and they are ALWAYS a hit. If you use the code SENDLUV now through 2/17 you can get 40% off of personalized photo cards and stationary. The website is SUPER easy to navigate and you can pick up things the same day which is awesome for my last minute friends! Woohooo, now go put your cute face on a coffee cup.
- Whether an earbud cord organizer, toiletry bag, wallet, or passport cover, leather gifts are guaranteed to last for years and to be a gift used over and over again! Etsy has a number of personalizable (is that a word?) gifts so I recommend heading there and looking around!
- If you’re from around the NOLA area or are visiting for Mardi Gras gifting a Perlis Mardi Gras rugby is going to gain you some serious points! I got mine a few years ago, and let me tell you, WORTH. EVERY. PENNY. I’m wearing the dress version below and Alexis has the shirt version on! (Hint: if you opt for the shirt version and are typically an adult small, try the child’s Large/X-Large, it fit me exactly the same and is about $20 less!)
- The gift of time is one you can’t go wrong with, so instead of a tangible gift, promise an extra few minutes of hanging out every morning or pay for a fun adventure! A sporting event, concert tickets (JazzFest, Bayou Country Superfest, Hangout), a show, an outdoor activity (hiking, kayaking, paddle boarding), these are the gifts that will be remembered forever! We’ve kayaked to Fort Proctor in Chalmette and Paddle Boarded in Bayou St. John in New Orleans and had so so much fun, 10/10 recommend.
- For college graduation + our first anniversary, TJ gave me a gift that I will truly cherish forever! Simon is an artist in New Orleans who has grown quite famous for his brightly colored paintings scattered around the city. I was gifted a Simon painting that says “You Make My Day” YALL, I melt. Pictured below is a Simon painting my parents received for their 25th anniversary! He can do custom things like theirs, or you can visit his store near Magazine Street in New Orleans and pick from one of his already completed creations. A gift as thoughtful as a painting or piece of art that has either an inside joke or something sweet sweet like mine did is sure to make anyone’s Valentine’s Day one to remember. Teej outdid himself with that one; I literally smile anytime I think/see about that gift.
- A subscription box is the gift that keeps on giving. For men there are Trunk Club, Say It With A Sock, Harry’s Shave Club, and Craft Beer Club. And for women there are a million, but I know people that have used and recommend FabFitFun, Birchbox, and Stitchfix.
GOODNESS, I could go on forever but I’ll end with this. TJ is an AWESOME gift giver, I’m talking, he gets me things that I don’t even know I need then I end up so dang obsessed #findyouatj. SO some other suggestions based off of things I’ve been gifted from him are an Eno hammock, Cast Iron Skillet, Duck Boots, a camera (he gave me the Canon Rebel t6 and I’m OBSESSED).
Phewwww.. I’ll leave you alone now, but if you need advice on gift giving that this guide didn’t help with, I’m hoping you’ll message me with your question! Whether the gift of time, something material, or words, I challenge you to make the ones you love feel confident of that love not only on February 14th but everyday. That’s all for now! xo