With a new year typically comes plenty of excitement; however, along with this excitement likely comes a few extra pounds, a bit of exhaustion, and some post-holiday blues. We all just had a break packed with family, with parties, and with SO MUCH GOOD FOOD, so how are we expected to just move on as if the blissful month of December didn’t happen? Well, I won’t act like I have the answer to this because, I mean, I don’t think anyone does, but I’ll outline a few things below that I think could help!
- Set achievable goals for the month of January! Let’s be real, the average person only keeps a New Year’s resolution for two weeks anyway, so why not set some two goals for ourselves rather than those cliche often unachievable and likely overwhelming year- long goals? The keys to making a good goal are to make it SMART- specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time-bound (#thanksOTschool). We are more likely to achieve a goal of “trying three new healthy recipes over the next two weeks” than we are to achieve a goal of “eating healthier and cooking more”. With regards to goals, the most important thing we can do is, WRITE IT DOWN- if goals and ideas stay in your head, you are so much less likely to hold yourself accountable for them, but writing your goals down and keeping them in a place you see everyday- on the coffee pot, as the label for your morning alarm, or on your steering wheel, the chances of achievement increase dramatically.
- Research/Buy a New Planner- With a new year often comes the extremely important opportunity to buy a new planner (let the crowds say “AMEN”). If you’re anywhere near as type-A as I am, deciding on a new planner is a decision that can keep one up at night; but I may have an answer for you. My mom just got a Catholic Planner, and although my planner doesn’t expire until August, I’m seriously thinking about making the switch because this thing is the answer to all of my planner needs. If you’re on the market for one research this one, but if that’s not your thing, others that people often like are:
- Try Something New- Whether a new spin class (no thanks), a new hobby, a new restaurant, adding something fresh and new to your days can make you feel rejuvenated and give you just the jump start you need to make this your best year yet. I’m hoping that with this new year, I’m able to figure this “adulting” thing out better than I have thus far. Step one for me is to get more comfortable in the kitchen since all of the women in my life are BOMB cooks. Below I have the one recipe with more than five ingredients that I feel super confident in every time I make it, so if expanding your kitchen repertoire is something that could add some spice (#punintended) to your life, start here: so easy, delish x10, and makes the kitchen smell like you just slaved for hours- count me in.
- Reclaim Control of your Body- After the holidays I always feel discombobulated; my skin is a wreck, my hair is a disaster, and my leggings seem to be the only “pants” that I put on (because my Grandmama’s cookies and MawMaw’s fudge were just too good to resist). If this is where you’re currently at, I’ve got a few suggestions for you:
- Moroccan Oil, Moroccan Oil, Moroccan Oil- after the intense amount of hairspray, teasing, and dry shampoo used over the last few weeks, do your hair a favor and invest in shampoo and conditioner that will make you love your hair again. I recommend the Moroccan Oil Moisture Repair Shampoo and Conditioner. You can purchase from Sephora or online from Amazon!
- Next up, the Align Pant by LuluLemon. Alright, so I’ve never been one to really invest in leggings, I mean as long as they weren’t see through and made me forget I had pants on, I’ve always been so content with a $5 pair; however, I was gifted these for my birthday and my life is changed forever. They feel like butter, seriously the comfiest material I’ve ever put on my body, they are designed with a high waist line so things get held in in all the right places, and holy cow they maintain their elasticity like no other legging I’ve ever put on my body. MAKE THE INVESTMENT- the Align Pant by LuluLemon, I’ve linked them above!
- As far as skin care goes, I’ll talk about face care in an upcoming post but goodness this cold weather left my skin as dry as the Sahara. The AHAVA Mineral Hand Cream is life changing; I mean seriously, I had no idea my hands were thirsty for a dead sea mineral hand cream but they/I love this stuff. It keeps your hands feeling so moist for hours but the cream soaks in super quickly preventing the awkward ten minutes where doorknobs are typically out of the question. I received mine in my FabFitFun box (this too will be talked about soon!) and am so thankful for it.
Like I said at the beginning of this post, I’m not claiming to be able to cure your holiday blues, but hopefully these tips can help make the transition back to normal life a little easier! Thanks for stopping by!